President Muhammadu Buhari addressed the 76th Session of the high-degree General Debate of the UN General Assembly at the UN headquarters in New York on Friday, September 24..”
ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AT THE GENERAL DEBATE OF THE 76TH SESSION OF UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY IN NEW YORK, USA FRIDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER, 2021
Let me, on behalf of the government and those of Nigeria, congratulate you for your nicely-deserved election as President of the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly. I would love to guarantee you of the entire support and cooperation of the Nigerian delegation at some stage in your tenure.
2. I would love to commend your predecessor, His Excellency, Mr. Volkan Boskir, for the numerous outstanding achievements recorded for the duration of his tenure, despite the demanding situations posed with the aid of the COVID-19 pandemic..”
3. Permit me to congratulate the Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, on his re-election and commend his sturdy commitment to making the UN greater alive to its responsibilities.
4. I also need to express my gratitude to him for re-appointing Ms. Amina Mohammed, as the Deputy Secretary General to help him in discharging his heavy obligations.
Five. The subject matter of this yr’s General Assembly – “Building resilience through hope – to get over COVID-19, rebuild sustainably, reply to the desires of the planet, appreciate the rights of the people, and revitalise the United Nations, sums up our commonplace preference to rescue our planet, get better our economies, and repair hope to all the peoples of the sector.
6. In this regard, my delegation will continue to support the United Nations, as the imperative forum for international cooperation and the cornerstone of the multilateral machine, rooted in admire for international law, which includes international human rights regulation and predicated on a regulations-based order..”
7. I want to thank the international network for the concerted response to COVID-19. The harmony and force to incorporate the first truely worldwide health emergency of our time is a pointer to the numerous matters we are able to acquire if we work together.
8. On our part, Nigeria has made strenuous efforts to contain the virus and halt its deadly onslaught on our people. Our efforts had been rewarded with slight achievement.
9. At the outset, we regarded detection and make contact with tracing to be critical equipment in preventing the virus. In this connection, from an insignificant 4 laboratories with checking out and detection capacities, we ramped up the centers to over 140 centres nowadays.
10. Similarly, we constructed isolation centres and emergency hospitals wards in record time all around the country. We carry out genomic sequencing in distinct laboratories throughout the united states of america with the intention to detecting variations in move.
Eleven. In addition, over 40,000 health care workers have recently been trained on Infection, Prevention and Control measures with the assist of diverse partners. Through the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, we’ve mounted sixteen infectious ailment treatment centres placed within our coaching hospitals and Federal Medical Centres.
12. Nigeria stays grateful for the assistance received from our partners and buddies everywhere in the world. Vaccination is the key to our secure emergence from the pandemic. We completely help the COVAX initiative from which we’ve benefitted. We additionally thank the USA of America, Turkey, India,China, European Union, and others for the vaccines provided.
Thirteen. Despite the acknowledgement however, I would like to reiterate my call for a fairer and extra equitable distribution of vaccines to all international locations in order that, together, we can fight and include the pandemic. The rising wave of more moderen and extra contagious traces, makes this even more urgent. No usa can afford the socio-economic implications of extended shutdown. It is vital to underscore that no person is secure until everyone is secure..”
14. Nigeria remains deeply worried over the illicit trade, switch, and flow of small hands and light guns. Their immoderate accumulation and out of control spread in many regions of the sector are having devastating humanitarian and socio-economic consequences, especially on the continent of Africa.
15. It is on this observe that my delegation requires the arena extensive application of the Arms Trade Treaty to codify responsibility in conventional palms change, which is vital to the safety of nations. This is in reputation of the want for a wide-primarily based global partnership within the on-going war against trans-border crimes, which include terrorism and piracy.
Sixteen. We ought to deal now not simplest with the symptoms of war but also the immediate causes that gasoline conflicts inside the first vicinity. These encompass bad and undemocratic governance, human rights abuses, poverty, lack of information, injustice and inequalities.
17. There aren’t any clean solutions to these situations. They require long time investments and extra effective international cooperation. In this connection, my delegation underscores the significance of promoting non violent, unfettered, and inclusive participation of states in global actions toward conflict prevention. This will facilitate the success of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the African Union Agenda 2063.
18 In West Africa specially, our democratic profits of the past many years at the moment are being eroded. The recent trend of unconstitutional takeover of energy, sometimes in response to unilateral modifications of constitutions via some leaders, must no longer be tolerated by means of the worldwide network. Nigeria completely helps the efforts by using ECOWAS to deal with this growing project and appreciates the support of both the African Union and the United Nations. In this regard, I would really like to reiterate that as leaders of our person Member-States want to adhere to the constitutional provisions of our nations, especially on time period limits. This is one area that generates crisis and political anxiety in our sub-area..”
19. Nigeria is completely devoted to nuclear non-proliferation and has continually supported the view that it ought to contain all States.
20. Disarmament Conventions deserve the assist of all states, small, huge, nuclear or non-nuclear. Nuclear guns remain the remaining marketers of mass destruction, and their total elimination should be the final goal of all disarmament tactics within the huge spectrum of desires being pursued through the United Nations.
21. In this regard, Nigeria would participate actively inside the impending Review Conference of the Nuclear Prohibition Treaty and also the First Meeting of states Parties to the landmark Treaty at the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, scheduled to take area inside the first region of 2022.
22. Nigeriaregards those upcoming events as critical steps toward the realisation of a global free of nuclear guns. We are, therefore, supportive of any diplomatic efforts on this direction. We hope that the upcoming NPT review conference could cause a successful outcome that would facilitate the denuclearisation of the world. We might do our component to make certain such an outcome.
23. Terrorism keeps to dominate security discourse global. In Nigeria, Boko Haram terrorist group, though fragmented by internal strife and weakened through our defence forces, is still lively and preying on soft objectives. Nigeria will retain to work intently with UN Counter-Terrorism bodies and entities so that you can bringing this scourge to an stop.
24. Nigeria has spared no effort in addressing the challenges of terrorism posed by way of the activities of Boko Haram in north-East Nigeria and the Lake Chad location, as well as banditry inside the north-West and North-Central Nigeria. The Nigerian Security Forces have recorded full-size success in the fight against terrorism. As a result of the renewed vigor of our navy, many terrorist fighters are voluntarily surrendering to our safety forces.
25. I and 3 different Nigerian Heads of State served actively as peacekeepers and Nigeria maintains to help peacekeeping efforts. We recognise the sacrifice concerned, we additionally know how important peacekeeping is for the ones in inclined situations. Nigeria will retain to play its element absolutely in assisting United Nations peacekeeping operations inside Africa and beyond.
26. The effect of weather alternate is already with us in Nigeria, manifesting in numerous ways: conflicts trigger; meals lack of confidence, drying up of lakes; lack of livelihood, and children migration, among others. The trend is the identical in lots of different countries which are threatened with the aid of woodland fires, rising sea levels, drought and desertification..”
27. In the situations, we intend to build a weather-resilient economic system that successfully aligns with the SDGs and that has first-rate potentials to unlocking the overall possibilities in distinct sectors of the financial system, at the same time as defensive the assets for present and future generations. I recognise, in several ways, that is also a familiar story in many countries.
28. As leaders, we should create inclusive and gender-sensitive guidelines that cope with all issues connected to climate motion, from mitigation to resilience.
29. Nigeria believes that protective our planet and its biodiversity and climate are important to our collective survival. That is why, we’re operating on a transition to low carbon economy, steady with reaching the Paris Climate Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.
30. Combating illicit financial flows and making sure the recovery and go back of illicitly acquired property have the ability to offer sources within the immediately term for financing development in this period of the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
31. Similarly, corruption across national borders has large negative effect on the steadiness, peace, and monetary possibilities of millions, particularly in growing nations.
32. It deprives national governments of resources had to provide good enough and significant sources of livelihood for his or her citizens. The latter offers upward thrust to greater irregular migration patterns, with unwholesome effects for inter-country and human relations.
33. I, consequently, call on all leaders to illustrate the much-wished political will by way of helping their commendations for systemic reforms made through the FACTI Panel.
34. We assist setting up modalities for a international coordination mechanism at the UnitedNations Economic and Social Council to systematically reveal illicit economic flows and enhance economic integrity for sustainable improvement, with the participation of all relevant stakeholders.
35. On the issue of debt, we’ve got visible that growing international locations were confronted with unsustainable debt burdens even before the pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic has extended the threat of latest wave of deepening debt, wherein important public economic sources are allocated to outside debt servicing and payments on the rate of home health and financing for essential developmental needs..”
36. I should commend the modern-day projects by using the worldwide monetary establishments and the G20 aimed at appreciably mitigating the monetary situation of the indebted nations and urge for extra efforts in this regard.
37. Therefore, there may be an urgent need to recall enlargement and extension of the Debt Service SuspensionInitiative to include all Developing, Least Developed Countries and Small Island Developing States facing financial and liquidity challenges. In addition, a evaluate of the eligibility standards for debt suspension, such as outright cancellation, is needed for nations dealing with the most extreme demanding situations.
38. Nigeriareaffirms that global exchange is an engine for improvement and sustained monetary boom, in addition to the global eradication of poverty.
39. My delegation would really like to reaffirm the vital role that a popular,policies-based totally, open, non-discriminatory and equitable multilateral buying and selling systemcan play in stimulating economic increase and improvement.
Forty. Fair and equitable exchange would finally take away the need for resource. My us of a and certainly all African nations do not intend to stay indefinitely searching out useful resource. All we need is a fair and equitable device of international alternate.
Forty one. We, consequently, call for a reform schedule to be able to engender higher recovery from this crisis, construct resilience to future shocks and pursue transformative development techniques which can supply the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
Forty two. The international meals machine has, nowadays, been impacted by means of several factors which includes populace boom, availability and accessibility of arable land and water sources, weather trade, and loss of biodiversity.
Forty three. Increased competition for assets along with land, water, and electricity, has affected meals get admission to and deliver, mainly in developing international locations. Climate alternate and unpredictable shocks, such as the present day worldwide pandemic, similarly exacerbate vulnerabilities in the international food machine, requiring the UN’s urgent attention.
44. The Government of Nigeria remains decided to improve the productiveness and incomes of small-scale farmers by means of promoting equal access to land, era and markets, sustainable food production systems and resilient agricultural practices.
Forty five. At the coronary heart of Nigeria’s post-COVID-19 reaction is the Economic Sustainability Plan, which hasa most important thing, known as the Agriculture for Food and Jobs Programme where we seek to leverage suitable technologies to construct a resilient food machine for the united states of america.
Forty six. An necessary part of our meals structures’ transformation strategy is to create an permitting and supportive environment to enforce those guidelines in a participatory manner.
47. Global efforts to mitigate and preserve meals structures should contain key stakeholders, inclusive of governments, farmers, buyers, multilateral groups, regional our bodies, global economic establishments, private companions and civil society organizations.
48. Nigeria has been steadfast in safeguarding human rights, consisting of the advancement of girls, the safety of kids, the safety of the rights of humans dwelling with disabilities, the treatment of migrants, refugees, returnees and displaced folks as well as, the promotion of essential freedoms through all valid method. In this regard, my delegation commends the effective example of leaders like Prime Minister Jacinda Arden of New Zealand.
Forty nine. In this context Nigeria requires collective global motion through a Treaty to give up all varieties of violence in opposition to women and girls of every age.
50. Nigeria remains unwavering in its commitment to ensuring the development of human rights inside its seashores and beyond. This is so even inside the context of a vicious decade-long onslaught by means of terrorists against Nigerians, quite contrary to unwholesome reviews through some who infrequently verify what they state against us.
Fifty one. The recent upward push in hate associated crimes globally underscores theurgent want to retain our engagement about racism, racial discrimination,xenophobia and other related intolerance. It is unhappy to observe that the issue of racism remains alive globally.
52. We are starting to overlook our affirmation of the inherent dignity and the identical and inalienable rights of each person as enshrined within the UN Charter. No society can declare to be unfastened or simply if it deprive anybody of those rights.
53. Nigeria has lengthy been a principled fighter towards racism and all styles of discrimination stimulated by means of its African enjoy. In the beyond, racism oiled the system of slavery and colonialism. Today, racism drives hate crimes and institutional discrimination. In all this, Africans and people of African descent are most of the primary sufferers.
54. Cognizant of these, I commend Member States for adopting by way of consensus the resolution on the Establishment of the Permanent Forum of People of African Descent on 2nd August 2021. I am assured that this forum will make great impact in the quest to give up race-related vices and injustices.
Fifty five. No reform of the United Nations device is greater pressing than that of the Security Council. Stakeholders round the arena are asking how such electricity will be focused, with scant illustration. The intergovernmental negotiations have taken too lengthy, a few 15 years. We must keep away from going in cycles. Consensus has been executed in a number of the factors of this reform, in particular that of the illustration of Africa on the basis of the Elzuwini consensus and the Sirte Declaration. It is unreasonable to anticipate unanimity on this count number. The difficulty, indeed, is set justice, no longer unanimity. Without justice, the legitimacy (even efficacy) of our Organization is referred to as to question. We can and must make enormous, irreversible progress on Security Council reform within the cutting-edge session.
Fifty six. Connected to this, is the question of justice, fairness, and equity in recognize of the Palestinian humans. The state of affairs inside the Middle East is long-status and gives motive for subject. Nigeria encourages Israel and Palestine to re-engage in talk based on relevant UNresolutions and Initiatives. The -state solution has the help of the worldwide network and is extensively acknowledged as the path to lasting peace.
57. Our company is at the height of the multilateral gadget. It is likewise the pre-eminent body for solving our cutting-edge and emerging demanding situations, and developing norms which are shielding people all. We want to re-commit to it, rejuvenate it to better serve us. Nigeria re-affirms its faith inside the UnitedNations and is in addition resolved to hold to paintings with all Member-States for peace and safety, development and the safety of human rights. In the present day second, wish for those, is depending on how we assist each other to get COVID-19 out of all international locations, regardless of their type. We can and have to do so.
58. In this regard, allow me near my declaration via paying unique tribute to a incredible and humane internationalist, and an exemplary practitioner of multilateral cooperation. I am talking of Chancellor Angela Merkel of theFederal Republic of Germany. As she exits the degree, we desire her nicely.
I thank you..”