Read the total textual content of Nigeria’s number one man, President Muhamadu Buhari’s Independence Day speech..”
INDEPENDENCE DAY ADDRESS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE OCCASION OF NIGERIA’S SIXTY FIRST INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY, FRIDAY 1ST OCTOBER, 2021.
Citizens of Nigeria.
It is with complete gratitude to God that today, we have fun Nigeria’s sixty first Independence Anniversary.
2. For 1st of October 1960 to take place, all hands had been on deck. East, West, North all got here collectively to celebrate freedom. Today need to no longer simplest function a reminder of the day the British passed over the reins of strength to Nigerians, but additionally unified Nigerians from all ethnic corporations, religions and areas.
Three. Today, regardless of the demanding situations we face, maximum Nigerians nevertheless preserve the spirit of 1st October. That positive outlook and determination to make Nigeria a non violent and wealthy country. It is because of this collective mindset that Nigeria doggedly keeps to remain a united and indivisible country.
Four. Fellow Nigerians, the past eighteen months have been a number of the maximum tough durations inside the records of Nigeria. Since the civil warfare, I doubt whether or not we’ve got seen a period of more heightened demanding situations than what we have witnessed in this era.
Five. Our unique priorities for 2020 were to maintain stabilising our economic system following the deep recession even as restoring peace in regions confronted with protection challenges. But the COVID-19 pandemic and its devastating impact on all nations meant we needed to shift gears and re-strategise.
6. Nigerians got here collectively as one to combat in opposition to COVID-19. It is this attitude and by way of the special grace of God, we maintain to live to tell the tale the pandemic as a kingdom and indeed, provide leadership and example at local and worldwide degrees.
7. The doomsday situation expected for our u . S . A . By no means got here. Even as the Delta variant continues to spread, we’ve built the potential we want to respond now and into the future.
8. I will therefore enchantment to Nigerians no longer to take COVID gently, adhere to public health and social measures, put your mask on and get vaccinated. We can manage this pandemic, however it requires effort on all and sundry’s part. The investments we made in reaction to COVID-19 can even serve our usa to tackle any future disease outbreaks or pandemics.
9. Despite the global inequity in access to vaccines, the Government of Nigeria has persevered to discover all to be had options to ensure Nigerians have loose get admission to to safe and effective vaccines.
10. Some 5 million vaccine doses had been administered to Nigerians thru efforts led by way of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency and we can continue to discover alternatives for purchase or acquisition of vaccines inclusive of via COVAX and the African Vaccine Acquisition Trust.
11. I will take this opportunity to remind the worldwide community that the cutting-edge state of get admission to to COVID-19 vaccines is unacceptable. We cannot have the funds for a state of affairs where a handful of nations keep the worldwide vaccine deliver to themselves on the expense of other nations.
12. We have to act now to boost up equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines. This is the message I conveyed to the worldwide community in New York ultimate week.
13. As we push to source vaccines for our immediate needs, we shall invest greater to support our pharmaceutical and research agencies to provide you with thoughts for regionally evolved vaccines. Should any other pandemic get up within the future, Our question is straightforward; will Nigeria be equipped?
14. Accordingly, I even have directed the Ministries of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Health, Education and Science and Technology to work with Nigerian and International pharmaceutical businesses and research organisations to beautify Nigeria’s domestic pharmaceutical potential.
15. Already, the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority is raising a $two hundred million fund for this initiative with a purpose to supplement the Central Bank of Nigeria’s ongoing N85 billion Healthcare Sector Research and Development Intervention Scheme to aid local researchers inside the improvement of vaccines and capsules to combat communicable and non-communicable sicknesses, along with COVID-19.
Fellow Nigerians, this is just the start.
Sixteen. Similarly, on our method to food security, I am proud to announce Nigeria has began its journey to pharmaceutical independence.
17. This adventure, for you to take years to gain however will in the end result in Nigerian based totally organizations developing the Active Pharmaceutical substances and competence wanted for us to make our own tablets and vaccines.
18. As our economy keeps to open after the COVID-19 associated lockdowns, we have additionally visible the resurgence of lack of confidence in certain elements of the united states.
19. In the closing four months, the gallant women and men of the Military and Security Agencies have made extraordinary progress in addressing those new safety challenges. We are taking the fight to our enemies from all angles and we are triumphing.
20. Earlier this yr, I released the Integrated National Security and Waterways Protection Infrastructure, the Deep Blue Project, that’s designed to comfortable Nigerian waters as much as the Gulf of Guinea. I am satisfied to inform Nigerians that we’ve taken shipping of key property for this challenge and really soon, its impact may be felt.
21. In the North East place by myself, over eight thousand Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered.
22. To aid our surge technique to preventing banditry, the Nigerian Armed Forces have recruited over 17,000 personnel throughout all ranks. Furthermore, I have also approved for the Nigerian Police Force to recruit 10,000 cops annually over the next six years.
23. I am additionally thrilled to be aware that most of the Air Force systems we acquired over the last three years have started to arrive in Nigeria. These will definitely effect our protection operations in all components of the country.
24. In line with phase 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), the safety and welfare of Nigerians remain the top recognition on which programmes and initiatives of our authorities revolves.
25. Therefore, as a Government, we are prepared to arrest and prosecute all men and women inciting violence through phrases or action. Our remedy for a peaceful, united and one Nigeria remains resolute and unwavering.
26. That stated, our wish isn’t to combat for peace. We can constantly settle our grievances peacefully with out spilling any blood.
27. I will therefore take this possibility, in this unique day that symbolises the unity and oneness of our super nation, to ask all Nigerians to include peace and communicate, something your grievances.
28. The seeds of violence are planted in human beings’s heads thru words. Reckless utterances of some have caused losses of many innocent lives and destruction of residences.
29. Such unfiltered and unsubstantiated lies and hate speeches via a few evil people have to be stopped. Our media homes and commentators must circulate far from just reporting irresponsible feedback to investigating the truth at the back of all statements and providing the facts to readers.
30. We must all come out and talk towards the lies being peddled. At this factor, I could need to simply appreciate the big wide variety of our Traditional, Religious and Community leaders as well as different nicely-that means Nigerians who, of their numerous fora are openly spreading the message of peaceful co-lifestyles and struggle agreement via talk of their respective groups.
31. Nigeria is for every body. Its solidarity is not negotiable. And its last success can only be executed if we all come together with a commonplace intention of having peace and prosperity for our nation.
32. We shall retain to paintings on talk based totally answers to cope with legitimate grievances. But we continue to be equipped to take decisive actions against secessionist agitators and their sponsors who threaten our national security.
33. The recent arrests of Nnamdi Kanu and Sunday Adeyemo, and the continuing investigations being conducted have revealed positive excessive-profile financiers behind these individuals. We are vigorously pursuing these financiers including one diagnosed as a serving member of the national assembly.
34. This is a clean instance of the way people abandon their national management positions for their selfish gains. Instead of preaching unity, they’re funding and deceptive our teens to conduct criminal acts that sometimes lead to unlucky and pointless loss of lives and assets.
35. As the so-referred to as leaders run overseas to cover, our harmless youths are misled and left inside the streets to fight for their senseless and destructive reasons.
36. Government will continue, with extra degree of peoples’ participation and in collaboration with our worldwide companions, to enhance the safety architecture, reduce enabling environment for criminality to thrive and dispose of opportunities for terrorism financing.
37. Fellow Nigerians, our unrelenting effort at resolving an nearly -decade stalling on the management of our Petroleum sources and making sure equitable attention to our host groups has resulted inside the enactment of the Petroleum Industry Act, 2021.
38. This Act now not most effective overhauls the Institutional, regulatory and monetary framework of the Petroleum Industry but additionally reduces the previous opacity associated with this quarter.
39. This is the first step to the reforms because the system is a continuous one. Already, to in addition improve the governance framework, I actually have looked for an modification of sections 11(2)(b) and 34(2)(b). We will even maintain to check and amend as appropriate.
40. At this juncture, it’s far very appropriate that I salute the management and participants of the Ninth Assembly for his or her patriotism, determination to responsibility, candour and most significantly the dispatch with which they have got enacted legacy law for this state. I do not take such stage of cooperation without any consideration and desire it maintains for the overall efficiency of the Federal equipment.
Forty one. Nigeria’s Roadmap on Local Refining is on track with the Commissioning of a Modular refinery in Imo State.
42. A 2nd is scheduled for commissioning by way of the give up of this 12 months in Edo State and the 1/3 one in Bayelsa State by way of 2022.
43. In addition to the modular initiatives, we additionally have the two mega refinery initiatives coming up in Lagos and Akwa Ibom States.
Forty four. As these refineries are commissioned, extra employment possibilities are created and there could be elevated petroleum merchandise available for neighborhood consumption in order to significantly lessen our reliance on importation.
Forty five. In further demonstrating our plan to lessen our dependence on oil and tapping from our big fuel assets, this management remains dedicated to the “Decade of Gas” Initiative, that is aimed at bringing to focus the utilization of our large fuel assets.
46. Already, we’re helping and selling numerous fuel-based totally initiatives consisting of NLNG Train 7 and the mega urea and ammonia tasks inside the South-South area.
Forty seven. As we hold to optimise and enhance our oil and gas region, I am additionally proud and delighted to country that our monetary diversification strategy remains on course with the chronic boom in Non-Oil Sector contribution to GDP.
48. We recovered from monetary recession in quarter four of 2020 with a GDP boom fee of 0.11%, and grew by using zero.51% and 5.01% in real phrases inside the first and 2d quarters of 2021.
Forty nine. The Agricultural area stays key to our economic diversification efforts as the sector has been a consistent motive force of the non-oil zone contributing 22.35% and 23.Seventy eight% to the general GDP inside the first and 2nd region of 2021.
50. We have seen enormous non-public quarter investments in nearly all areas of the rural price chain. And these have endured even during the COVID-19 pandemic.
51. Unfortunately, as our meals production capability has increased, meals prices were going up due to synthetic shortages created by means of middlemen who’ve been buying and hoarding those vital commodities for profiteering.
Fifty two. To address this, I am hereby directing the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to rehabilitate the National Food Reserve Agency and also work with protection agencies, the Nigerian Commodity Exchange, and the National Assembly to find a lasting approach to these disruptive and unpatriotic hoarding activities.
53. To similarly decorate food manufacturing, we have completed numerous new dams and are within the system of rehabilitating several River Basin Development Authorities to beautify floor water supply for rainfed agriculture as well as floor water for irrigation agriculture.
54. The water tasks we finished among 2015 to 2020 have progressed Nigerian’s get right of entry to to potable water to seventy one% among 2015 and 2020. This method 12.5 million additional Nigerians now have direct access to potable water.
55. This Government remains worried by way of the sizable transportation infrastructure deficit we’ve got. Addressing the challenges our commuters and lorry drivers face at the motorways is still a excessive priority to us.
Fifty six. To complement our budgetary allocations, the Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund and the Road Infrastructure Development and Refurbishment Investment Tax Credit Scheme, we lately established a N15trillion Infrastructural Corporation of Nigeria Limited (INFRACO), that’s predicted to start operation by the fourth area of this yr.
57. INFRACO may even focus on leveraging resources on a public-non-public quarter basis for infrastructural improvement in Nigeria.
58. We wish via these revolutionary programs, the additional fee burden on people and companies because of inefficient logistics operations can be reduced and in the end, eliminated.
59. We presently have over thirteen,000 kilometres of roads and bridges under construction everywhere in the u . S . A . Of which a fair percentage had been finished.
60. As we restore our roads, we also maintain to increase and improve Nigeria’s railway network with the remarkable opening of the Warri- Itakpe fashionable gauge rail line.
Sixty one. To growth ability, we’ve brought extra locomotives, coaches and wagons such as the status quo of a Wagon Assembly in Kajola, Ogun State.
Sixty two. The sea ports however still stay complicated. The impact of our diverse interventions to lessen the gridlocks and inefficiencies have been slower than predicted.
Sixty three. However, the implementation of the Electronic Call-Up System in addition to the conversion of the Lillypond Container Terminal to a Vehicle Transit Area will further beautify the convenience of cargo evacuation.
64. Our prioritisation of growing Nigeria’s Digital Economy has positively impacted the contribution of the ICT area to our GDP.
Sixty five. We desire our present efforts to ensure all Nigerians use a National Identification Number in addition to our planned roll-out of the fifth era (5G) network era will make certain we live in keeping with the worldwide innovation curve as a Nation.
Sixty six. As we embody the virtual economic system in Nigeria, we are fully aware of the prospects and the perils. Our guidelines have been evolved to allow Nigerians to take benefit of the potentialities and keep away from the perils of virtual technologies.
Sixty seven. Social media is a totally useful platform that has enabled thousands and thousands of Nigerians to connect with loved ones, sell their companies, socialise, and get entry to information and different information.
Sixty eight. However, latest occasions have shown that the platform isn’t always just an risk free platform for information dissemination.
Sixty nine. Rather a few users have misused the platform to organise, coordinate, and execute criminal activities, propagate fake news, and promote ethnic and religious sentiments.
70. To cope with those terrible trends, the Federal Government of Nigeria suspended the operations of Twitter in Nigeria on June 5, 2021 to allow the Government put measures in region to address these challenges.
71. Following the suspension of Twitter operations, Twitter Inc. Reached out to the Federal Government of Nigeria to solve the impasse. Subsequently, I constituted a Presidential Committee to engage Twitter to explore the possibility of resolving the difficulty.
Seventy two. The Committee, along side its Technical Team, has engaged with Twitter and have addressed a number of key problems. These are:
a. National Security and Cohesion;
b. Registration, Physical presence and Representation;
c. Fair Taxation;
d. Dispute Resolution; and
e. Local Content.
Seventy three. Following the good sized engagements, the issues are being addressed and I actually have directed that the suspension be lifted however best if the conditions are met to permit our citizens maintain the use of the platform for commercial enterprise and high quality engagements.
Seventy four. As a country, we’re dedicated to ensuring that digital businesses use their platform to beautify the lives of our residents, appreciate Nigeria’s sovereignty, cultural values and promote on line safety.
Seventy five. Nigeria’s revolutionary international relations keeps to show up through growing numbers of surprisingly placed Nigerians in positions of local and international affects. Very these days, Nigeria gained election for the placement of Commissioner for the increased Political, Peace and Security Affairs of the African Union.
76. Our persistent calls for a reorganized and reformed ECOWAS, to make the agency citizens-sensitive, paid off with the reputation through the Authority of Heads of State and Governments of ECOWAS to commence the agreed reforms within the company beforehand of the subsequent elections of the company’s major officials in December this year.
Seventy seven. At the African Development Bank, World Trade Organization and certainly, the United Nations, footprints of Nigeria’s Diplomacy are without a doubt evident.
Seventy eight. We stay confident that our purpose of lifting 100million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years is possible.
Seventy nine. Considering the high quality impact of our Social Investment Programs, I these days authorized an increase inside the wide variety of N-Power program beneficiaries from 500,000 to a million.
80. Out of this, 510,000 have started the programme even as the competitive choice system for onboarding the excellent 490,000 beneficiaries is in progress.
Eighty one. The National Home-Grown School Feeding Programme is presently being carried out in 35 States of the Federation and the FCT. Over 103,000 girls were engaged and empowered as chefs underneath the programme, while about 10 million students are being fed across public primary schools in the u . S ..
82. To furnish multiplied get right of entry to to credit score to the maximum negative and vulnerable, I actually have directed an boom within the disbursement of Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme loans to an extra one million beneficiaries laying more emphasis on the smallholding farmers via the farmers Moni application.
eighty three. For far too lengthy we have unnoticed the centrality of the civil carrier because the engine of governance and this has manifested in useless service shipping.
Eighty four. There is good sized discontent and disillusion about the efficiency and probity of our civil service.
85. It is for that reason that we’re refocusing the Nigerian Civil Service to provide World class carrier to run our usa.
86. The youths of this excellent united states of america remain propellants for our these days and provide guarantees that we’d have a secure tomorrow.
87. It is because of this that I continue to be centered on expanding possibilities for his or her participation in politics and governance.
88. Recent appointments of young humans into positions of authority and their tune record thus far, gives me self assurance that we want to carry more of them into governance and this I promise to do.
89. More in particular, to encourage Girl-Child Education, woman scholarship schemes, lifestyles abilties and virtual literacy abilities to enhance lady’s enrolment, retention and crowning glory of training, are all projects put in area to make sure gender stability in appropriately positioning our youths for positions of management.
Ninety. The dedication of this Administration to the properly-being of humans living with disabilities stays unwavering.
Ninety one. Government recognises their contributions to development and I actually have, in this regard, directed that all applicable Government Agencies pay special attention to the peculiarities of different abilties inside the implementation of rules and programmes.
92. Rape and Gender Based Violence stays a sore factor in our Nation as in many nations worldwide and this become worsened in the course of and after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
93. We are currently attractive Heads of Courts to establish Specialised Courts for the rapid and seamless trial of Rape/Gender-Based offences particularly to make sure that justice is carried out for child victims of sexual violence.
Ninety four. On the alternative hand, paintings has superior inside the reformation, reintegration and reunification of Minors worried in a single crime or the alternative.
Ninety five. The reformation in our Correctional Services has manifested in an boom in modernised custodial centres and a metamorphosis from strictly punitive to attitudinal changes so that criminals do not relapse into their previous lifestyle.
96. As we start to rejoice our 61 years as a Nation, we need to be aware that Nigeria does now not start and quit with the Federal Government. This us of a is a wonderful collective wherein Government at all fingers and levels in addition to the non-public quarter, and more importantly people, have a function to play.
97. In precise, protection is a bottom to pinnacle challenge. Joining fingers and hearts collectively would allow us to comfy ourselves and our usa.
98. I completely understand the tension of many Nigerians at the inability of this united states to head past a in no way-ending capacity for turning into a exceptional kingdom to an truely incredible one.
99. A lot has been accomplished within the last six years on many fronts: in infrastructure, social care, governance, Nigeria’s image and affect in Africa and the global community.
100. But critics misdiagnose incremental development as stagnation. Since coming to electricity, this Administration has tackled our issues head-on in spite of the meagre sources. No authorities due to the fact 1999 has carried out what we’ve done in six years to put Nigeria lower back on track.
101. We shall continue to serve the usa: listen to all and defend our democracy and united states of america.
Thank you all and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria..”